Monday, November 10, 2008

Got brakes, will travel..& stop too!

So this weekend was a bit unordinary. My hubby came home Thursday night to proclaim that he was taking off Friday to do the brakes on our van. (Our van by the way, has quite the taste for brakes. that sucker eats them up at least every 6 months. And NO it's not my driving..it's really a proven fact that our monster van has a rep of going through these suckers like crazy. Don't believe me? Google 2004 Kia sedona and brakes) I thought this was wonderful news. That would mean we could use our Saturday for family fun, or cleaning the house, or something. With in 10 minutes of his declaration he threw his back out!!!! How? By walking, I guess. So he was down for the count and there were still brakes that needed changing.

So how did he spend his glorious day off? Lying on his back. Come Saturday he's still hurting but those brakes were still calling. So we loaded up the fam, went to the inlaws and Trav showed me how to change the brake pads. My dad would be proud. Of course I did not do much of it. Part way through the baby woke up and needed to be fed. I took care of that and headed back to the garage. Trav really did most of the work and a great bro in law, who knows how to do everything, helped out when I got a lug nut stuck in the one wrench thingy. However, I do know how to take off my tire now, how to put them on, how to jack up my car..safely, yeah. So my poor hurt hubby still did most of the work..but I lent a helping hand and am happy that I gained a little bit of knowledge about things mechanical. Ohhh and it was i who noticed the car sounded funny as we left and that the van was shakey....the lug nuts were not tight enough. So the other important lesson....make sure you tighten your, uh, lug nuts! If not, the tire might fall off...ooops!

So now I'm off to go get 2 stinkin' tires for the van...That'll be the last of our van prep for our up coming road trip to Utah... Next will be making sure I have winter clothes for my kiddos...That's another post for another day....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

but boy was it fun and i am sure proud of you hunny:)

Unknown said...

WOW! I'm proud. Maybe you can take a drive and show your sister how to do her brakes on her 2004 Kia. What do you know...I had brakes done 6 months ago!